What is Hand Physical Therapy?
Without really thinking about it, we subconsciously use our hands for nearly every single action that we partake in throughout the day. In fact, you likely clicked on this by moving your finger to click a mouse or press a screen. Because we tend to dismiss the importance of our hands, a hand or arm-based injury can put us in an uncertain panic. Don’t let a hand injury stop you from doing everyday tasks. Our offices for physical therapy are here to help you regain your strength and movement with our dedicated physical therapy staff.
Common Hand Injuries/Issues
Here are some common injuries that MOTION PT’s physical therapy services can help you treat:
- Arthritis: The breakdown of cartilage around the joints. This condition can be long-lasting and detrimental to your daily life if left untreated.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Caused by increased pressure on the median nerve in your wrist. It can be caused by the swelling of nearby tissue (caused by other factors) and can result in permanent nerve damage.
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome: Otherwise known as ulnar nerve entrapment. Caused by pressure or stretching on the ulnar nerve located on the inside of your elbow.
- Nerve Injuries: Damage to the nerves in the elbow, wrist, or hand. Nerves carry messages from the brain to muscles regarding movement, pain, pressure, or temperature. Nerve injuries can interrupt these transmissions.
- Dislocation: The ends of two individual bones disconnect from each other. It is not recommended to attempt popping them back into place without a medical professional.
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament Injury: This is common for athletes participating in throwing sports or workers who participate in heavy lifting or repeated overhead arm movements. Repetitive or excessive motions can put stress on the ligaments in the elbow, slowly creating small tears. MOTION PT offers both sports rehabilitation and work injury management programs that cover this injury.
If you are suffering from any of these ailments, want to know about treatment for a non-listed injury, or have questions about how MOTION PT can help you, contact one of our convenient locations.
How Physical Therapy Can Help
At MOTION PT, we work alongside you and your physician to identify your problem and guide you through the treatment process. Your hand therapist will work to create a comprehensive and personalized treatment plan that fits the best for you. Physical hand therapy services are extremely important to get your hand or arm back to the state it was at prior to your injury or illness diagnosis. Even if you have a permanent arm or hand limitation, our physical therapy and hand therapist can provide you with a structured plan to allow you to spend your days with less pain and improved independence. With physical therapy, you embark on an option that returns you to work, life, or athletics as rapidly as possible.
Physical therapy can help you avoid expensive or risky surgery by instead using carefully curated movement techniques. When you heal from an injury, your hand needs to be gently stretched and exercised. This helps to prevent the area from healing in a stiff painful or fashion and prevents any future mobility problems. Our experienced physical therapists will work to retrain your muscles to their pre-injury state, allowing for previously painful functional movements like lifting items and using pressure to be as painless and effective as possible. This also can help patients suffering from long term chronic pain to find natural relief. An accurate assessment and subsequent personalized treatment plan can reduce the amount of recovery time that you experience, therefore helping to lower the total cost of those pesky medical bills.